As the continually evolving universe known as the Internet of Things (IoT) gains even greater scale and magnitude, significant changes will be in store for consumers, businesses and governing bodies, transforming the way technology is utilized and deployed.
Of the more than 20 billion devices estimated to be IoT-connected by the end of this year, more than a quarter—approximately 3.6 billion devices—will come from the industrial sector, the single-biggest contributing bloc, IHS Markit estimates. Other important sectors in IoT-connected devices include automotive, medical, consumer, military/aerospace and computers.
Leveraging its deep technology knowledge and extensive vertical research, IHS Markit has identified four key trends expected to drive IoT development in 2017 and beyond—all of which are critical to establishing a solid foundation and driving future growth. These four trends, discussed in our complimentary ebook, are:
- Innovation and competitiveness
- Standardization and security
- Business models
- Wireless technology innovation
Under each theme, the IHS Markit ebook tackles a successive range of important questions designed to illuminate specific aspects of the rapidly expanding IoT landscape, including the following:
- Can companies derive their return on investment from the IoT and adjust to shifting demands?
- How will technology fragmentation in the IoT be resolved?
- Will the industry finally figure out how to monetize the IoT as an effective business model?
- Can low-power wireless technology expand IoT reach and lower the cost of connectivity in industrial applications?
IHS Technology Group at IHS Markit
Posted 14 February 2017